Local 2887 is a part of Council 31 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). We have approximately 300 clerical and kindred members who work in Alton, Edwardsville, and East St. Louis, which are the three campuses of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE). We are made up of the following positions:
- Accounting Clerks & Account Technicians
- Administrative Aides
- Clerical Assistants, Clerks, Chief Clerks, & Administrative Clerks
- Collection Specialists
- Community Workers
- Customer Service Assistants
- Financial Aid Advisers, Coordinators, & Managers
- Mail Messengers
- Medical Insurance Associates & Specialists
- Office Support Assistants, Associates, Specialists, Managers, & Administrators
- Parking Service Agents
- Payroll Specialists
- Retail Associates and Supervisors
Benefits of Membership
All SIUE employees in the above classifications are covered by the benefits and protections in the Local 2887 contract and have the right to representation by the Local in disciplinary action. Fair Share employees--those who have not signed a membership card for Local 2887--pay a fee to cover the costs of representation, but are not considered members of the Local. If you have questions about your membership status, please contact the President.
Members of Local 2887 are extended additional benefits and rights including:
- The right to participate in Local operations and activities.
- The right to vote on the contract.
- The right to vote on union leadership.
- Eligibility to attend quarterly general membership meetings and vote on issues.
- The opportunity to gain additional experience and knowledge through committees and activities.
- The opportunity to run for Local offices after 6 months.
- Eligibility for AFSCME scholarship programs.
- Eligibility for a $2,500 life insurance policy and access to additional insurance programs.
- Eligibility to attend AFSCME conferences.
- Access to the AFSCME Personal Support Program.
- Access to free and discounted legal services.
- Eligibility for AFSCME Advantage Programs which include discounts and services.
Strong membership allows us to negotiate better contracts and create a more positive working environment. We need everyone covered by our contract to become members of the Local to be as effective as possible in upholding our rights and improving our benefits. There are many ways--small and large--to take part in the Local and the Union. Sign up and get involved!